Audition excerpts for 2017-2018 are available. Please scroll down for printable PDFs.
The Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra (TYO) is a full orchestra made up of students with advanced abilities under a School of Music faculty conductor assisted by a School of Music graduate student in conducting. TYO members are primarily area high school students, with some advanced middle school students, UA students (degree and non-degree), and a few adult community members.
2017-2018: Audition day is Monday, August 21 beginning at 5:30 pm. (Rm 204, Moody Music Bldg). Students are heard in the order that they sign-in. Students who are unable to make this audition date must notify us BEFORE the audition date.
Fall Concert is SUNDAY, November 26, 2017 (dress rehearsal, 1:30 – 3:30 pm; Concert, 4:00 pm)
Spring Concert is MONDAY, April 30, 2018 (dress rehearsal, 5:30 – 6:30 pm; Concert, 7:00 pm)
Enrollment in the TYO occurs in one of two ways: 1) via non-credit enrollment (payment to the CMS office) or 2) via for-credit enrollment (MUA169, Sections 325), with payment to UA Student Receivables).
Below are the enrollment dates and fees for non-credit enrollment. Please contact Dr. Jane Weigel about for-credit enrollment pricing.
Strings: $125/semester (14 audition/rehearsals/concert)
FALL, 2017: August 28 – November 20 (no rehearsal on Labor Day); the dress rehearsal and concert will be on Sunday, November 26 (dress rehearsal 1:30 – 3:30 pm; concert at 4:00 pm)
Wind/Brass/Percussion: $75/semester (7 rehearsals/concert)
FALL, 2017: October 23 – November 20; The dress rehearsal and concert will be on Sunday, November 26 (dress rehearsal 1:30 – 3:30 pm; concert at 4:00 pm)
Concerto Competition: An audition will be held the first Monday in February to select one member of the TYO and one pianist from CMS to play a solo work/movement with the orchestra on the spring concert. Orchestral parts must be available on IMSLP or in the UA library AND must be pre-approved by the ensemble conductor. Interested students should contact Dr. Jane Weigel at email@example.com
Winds, brass, and percussion attend 7 rehearsals/concert each semester. With so few rehearsals, attendance is critical. Please see the rehearsal and concert schedule listed on the syllabus before auditioning. Students returning from Fall semester do not need to re-audition. Audition times are available for open chairs for Spring, 2018.
- Prepare 2 scales and 2 arpeggios (at least two octaves if possible) from the following keys: A Major, Bb Major, C Major, D Major, Eb Major, E Major, F Major. (Bass players must play E Major and G Major 2 octaves)
- 2 minutes of a solo piece of your choice
- TYO excerpt(s) for your instrument (printable pdf below)
Syllabus for 2017-2018 is forthcoming.
The following sections / chairs will be filled at the audition:
- Violin Violin
- Viola Viola
- Cello Cello
- Bass Bass
- I, II flute Flute Excerpts
- piccolo/flute III Piccolo Excerpt
- I, II clarinet Clarinet Excerpts
- bass clarinet (as needed)
- I, II oboe Oboe Excerpts
- I, II bassoon Bassoon Excerpts
- I, II, III Trumpet Trumpet Excerpt
- I, II, III, IV Horn Horn Excerpts
- I, II, III Trombone Trombone Excerpts
- Tuba Tuba Excerpt 1 Tuba Excerpt 2
- Percussion (3) Percussion Excerpts