Adult Strings Weekend will be held August 25-27, 2023. This weekend is for amateur adult players of violin, viola, cello, and string bass!
It’s orchestra for all with elective classes.
Saturday elective class options include: positions /shifting; chamber music; sight-reading / practice strategies; fiddle playing.
Instructors include orchestra conductor Mr. Joe Lee, Resident Conductor, Huntsville Symphony Orchestra, and Dr. Anne C. Witt, Faculty, The University of Alabama School of Music, select professional musicians from West Alabama.
ASW begins with informational and social activites on Friday: Ensemble Bootcamp (6:00 pm.) For attendees who have not played in an ensemble before, this session will identify what to expect in the ensemble rehearsal. Meet and Greet (6:30 p.m.) for all attendees to socialize briefly. Our first orchestra rehearsal fills the rest of the evening (7:00 p.m.) Saturday is filled with orchestra rehearsals, sectionals, and elective classes. Sunday morning begins with orchestra rehearsal followed by a group photograph and the ASW culminating concert.
- To enroll online with a credit card payment, select: https://community-music.oitapps.ua.edu/
- To enroll with a mail-in check payment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to enroll via hardcopy and check.
- Tuition cost and general information including deadlines – tuition is listed on the enrollment site (link above), deadline for early enrollment discount is July 17.
UA Mandates: At this time UA’s policy is ‘no mask required’ except on public transportation and in medical facilities. CMS follows all health guidelines and mandates by UA. If policy shifts we will update this site.
Consider the following optional add-ons to your weekend experience:
- AWS t-shirt (please be sure to note your size in the comment section of the online enrollment form)
- Intensive add-on: Chamber Music or Fiddle Playing (Friday 2:00) with professional coaching*
- Recital Performance+
- Saturday Group Dinner**
Lunch on Saturday is included in your ASW enrollment. This year we will stay at Moody and enjoy a catered meal while listening to guest artists. Following their performance, there will be time for Q/A with our guest artists. We hope this activity will inspire you and provide an opportunity to engage with artist performers.
*If adding-on the Chamber Music or Fiddle Intensive (Friday 2:00 – 5:00 p.m.): please enroll by July 20 so we can get your music to you in advance of the session and plan for ensemble coaches. Also, if you would like to play in a group with another ASW participant please let us know by emailing email@example.com
+This is your opportunity to play a solo (accompanied) on our Recital Hall stage Saturday at 4:00 p.m. This add-on includes one rehearsal with our staff accompanist (you must be available to rehearse on Friday between 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Selected works should be no longer than 10 minutes in duration and from the standard repertoire for your instrument. The accompaniment part must be received by ASW staff (pdf attachment to email or hard copy by mail) by August 4. No repertoire changes or refunds after submitting your work.
**If seeking to attend the Saturday Group Dinner: ASW participants enjoy meeting for dinner on Saturday (8/26/23). This option is not offered as an enrollment Add-On (i.e. participants pay for their own meal at the venue) which allows each person to select from the entire menu. This meal is scheduled at 5:00 pm at River, which has a lovely view of the Black Warrior River. Find out more about River’s the menu, prices, etc. go to rivertuscaloosa.com. The restaurant has a limited seating of 20, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm you would like to be included in this group meal in advance of your arrival at ASW.
If seeking a private lesson during your time at ASW, email email@example.com as this option is not part of the ASW, but we can create this add-on if given advance notice.
There are many events in Tuscaloosa on the same dates as ASW so don’t wait to secure your lodging! There are several hotel options within a short drive of campus.
Hotel Capstone is the lodging option within walking distance to Moody Music Bldg. There is a reserved block of 6 rooms under “Adult Strings Workshop” at Hotel Capstone.
Booking link and instructions are below.
BLOCK NAME: Adult String Workshop 2023
BLOCK DATES: July 25, 2023
LAST DAY TO BOOK IN BLOCK: August 25-27, 2023
Rate: $129 – Traditional room, Single King or Double Queen
How to use the link —
- Hold down control and double click on the link above to open up the webpage
- Choose your date of arrival by clicking on “check-in” and departure in “check-out”; select “search”
- Select the room type you prefer by clicking on “Show Rooms” and it will drop down your available options
- Select “Book Now” for the room that fits your needs
- Complete your reservation by entering all requested information and click “Continue”; you will receive a confirmation number upon completion.
Ø NOTE — Only the dates above and room types contracted are available at the contracted rate — rooms requested outside of your block dates or different room types are based on availability and at the prevailing rate.
Prefer to book by phone:
- Rooms in the block can be booked by calling 205-752-3200.
- The Agent will ask for an email address, so that we may email your confirmation letter. They will also be able to provide the confirmation number for you over the phone.
- Please be prepared with your payment method as it will be required to make a reservation over the phone.
Questions about the Hotel Capstone booking process or prefer to book by phone? call 205-752-3200 or 1-800-477-BAMA (2262)
A campus covered parking deck ($1/hour on Friday; .50/hour Saturday/Sunday, only takes cards) surface parking, and street parking is available within walking distance of Moody Music Bldg.