Fall 2020 online classes will be open for enrollment by late July. Enroll early for best availability. These classes have been updated for online format by Kindermusik International. There will be a supply pack drive thru pick-up day: TBA.
Join us for a FREE music class! Designed for a one-parent per child experience. Morning and late afternoon classes will be offered. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a “visit day” space. For enrollment, when advertised classes fill to capacity, additional classes will be added.
TEACHERS: Cindy Simpson Chambless (Tuesday classes) and Jane Weigel (Wednesday classes)
Kindermusik Village (Birth-17 months) – Not offered Fall 2020
Timeframe: 8 weeks
Fee: $120, includes supply pack
FALL 2020 Session I: Curriculum is TBA First class meets August 25 and runs 8 weeks.
Day/Times Offered: Tuesdays 5:30 p.m. (AND if/when those classes fill to capacity, potentially adding a Tuesday 10:45 a.m. or Wednesdays 10:00 a.m.).
Kindermusik Village fosters creativity, social development, and self esteem through exposure to music for infants from birth to 17 months. 45-minute classes for infant and caregiver or parent, offered in 8-week non-sequential semesters. Many of the class activities and materials can easily be adapted for the family to use at home.
SUMMER SESSION is 5 weeks. Cost for summer session is $75 (includes supply pack). Classes meet June 2-30. Curriculum alternates each summer: Busy Days (Summer 2021), or Peek-a-boo (Summer 2020).
Kindermusik Our Time (18 months-3 years)
Timeframe: 15 weeks
Fee: $230, includes supply pack
FALL 2020 Session: Curriculum is Milk & Cookies First class meets August 25 and runs 15 weeks.
Day/Times Offered: Tuesdays 5:30 p.m. (When this class fills, we may open Tuesdays 4:00 p.m.)
Kindermusik Our Time brings the joy of music and movement to the lives of children 18 months to 3 years and is offered in four 15-week non-sequential semesters. Eight children is the ideal class size, each with an accompanying parent or caregiver, meet weekly with the teacher for a 45-minute class. These lessons also help parents and caregivers become familiar with ways to encourage and facilitate musical development and appreciation. Activities are age and developmentally appropriate, engaging, and fun!
SUMMER SESSION is 5 weeks. Summer Session cost is $75 (includes supply pack). Classes meet June 2 – 30. Curriculum alternates each summer: Zoo Train (2021), or Beach Days! (2020).
Kindermusik ABC Music And Me (3.5 – 5.5 years)
Timeframe: 15 weeks
Fee: $240, includes supply pack
FALL 2020 Session: ABC, Music & Me; focus is on Keyboard, Percussion, Woodwind families. First class is August 25 and runs 15 weeks. Day/Times Offered: Tuesdays 4:45 p.m.
This research-based early childhood music program is designed to support the development of the whole child. Activities include singing and playing percussion instruments, dance and creative movement activities, focused listening, and introduction to musical notation. Concepts at the foundation of all Kindermusik classes such as steady beat playing, tempo, inhibitory control, and social cooperation are central to these classes. ABC classes are designed for the students to work independently with the teacher for the majority of the 45-minute class. Parents are invited into the classroom at the end of most classes for a brief teacher-guided activity or review of lesson concepts with their child.
In the first two semesters, learning about the musical families (Fall = woodwind, percussion, keyboards. Spring = brass, strings, voice) is the focus thru use of the ABC Music & Me curriculums and additional “musical field trips” within Moody Music Bldg. The children visit faculty or graduate students who introduce their instrument and demonstrate (play) for them. Parents are always encouraged to come along on these mini fieldtrips. Near the end of the first semester students are introduced to playing the flutophone, a wind instrument. First notes (B, A, G) and rhythms are learned during late fall and spring semester.
During the third and fourth semesters, woven into the already outstanding ABC Music & Me curriculum, is an introduction to types of large and small music ensembles and variety of styles of music. Some of these may include the concert or marching band, orchestra, string quartet, Jazz ensemble, folk ensemble, choir, opera, etc). Students will take a “musical field trip” within the School of Music to visit and hear faculty and student groups perform. The third and fourth semester focus is also on note reading and writing skills, and introduction to playing the glockenspiel (a keyboard oriented percussion instrument) and the recorder.
SUMMER SESSION is five weeks and is a slightly different format. Concepts at the foundation of Kindermusik (as stated above) are still the focus, along with added singing games, pretend play, storytelling, and some crafts. The five On the Road (Summer 2020) class days are centered around 1) A Road Trip, 2) A Day at a Cottage, 3) Fun at a Fair, 4) Day at the Beach, and 5) Let’s go Camping. Other Adventures curriculum include Tell Me A Tale, and Shoofly Pie! Cost is $75 (includes supply pack). Tuesday 4:00 p.m.
- All Kindermusik classes take place in room 141 of the Moody Music Building on the UA campus (off the main lobby). Bldg. physical address: 810 2nd Ave, 35487
- Class day/time options are listed on the CMS online enrollment form and the printable CMS enrollment form. Classes are enrolled on a first come first served basis. Once listed classes are enrolled to capacity (8), additional class sections may be opened for enrollment. There is no proration of session fees for Kindermusik.
- Kindermusik classes are non-sequential.They are designed for a one parent or caregiver per enrolled child experience. Attendance by more than one adult per child is subject to teacher approval. Due to room size and the need to keep an appropriate teacher-child ratio, attending a different class other than the in which you are enrolled is subject to teacher approval. We ask that children finish snacks before entering the classroom. Only water may be brought into the classroom.
- The tuition fee includes a supply pack for each child to keep.
- The fall semester classes begin the last full week of August unless otherwise noted. If interest exceeds the listed classes, an additional class may start the week after Labor Day. Spring session classes – start week TBA (see Calendar tab). Our 5-week Summer session starts the first full week of June.
- The Kindermusik teachers are Cynthia Simpson-Chambless, and Jane Weigel.
- A free one-time visit to experience a Kindermusik class may be scheduled as spots become available. Please call the CMS office at (205)-348-6741 to schedule a visit for you and your child to one of our classes.