No in-person ensembles are allowed to meet in the Moody Music Building due to COVID-19 concerns. Email Dr. Jane Weigel at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about our planned returned.
- First Rehearsal (strings only): We are hopeful that at some point in the spring 2021 session we can return to in-person TYO. Check back, please!
- Wind/Brass/Percussion: We are hopeful that at some point in the spring 2021 session we can return to in-person TYO. Check back, please!
In order to follow COVID mandated distancing for this ensemble size, the TYO strings will rehearse on the stage of the Concert Hall where we can spread out appropriately. Students must wear a mask at all times when inside Moody Music Building.
The Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra (TYO) is a full orchestra made up of students with advanced abilities under a School of Music faculty conductor assisted by a School of Music graduate student in conducting. TYO members are primarily area high school students, with some advanced middle school students, UA students (degree and non-degree), and a few adult community members.
TYO meets on Mondays, from 5:30–7:00pm in the IRR (room 204) of Moody Music Bldg.
Our concerts are at 7:00pm. in Moody Music Building.
If new to auditions for TYO, please email Dr. Weigel at email@example.com. Audition excerpt PDFs can be found below. Notification of acceptance for new students is by August 23, and for returning members, notice of seating placement will be at our first rehearsal on August 24. Please read this entire page for all audition details, enrollment, and attendance requirements.
UA Students (non-majors) who want to audition for TYO should email Dr. Weigel for an appointment. Our target date for fall auditions for UA student musicians is the third Monday of August at 5:00 p.m. Only open chairs are auditioned for the spring semester. Email Dr. Weigel if you are interested in auditioning.
- Prepare 2 scales and 2 arpeggios (at least two octaves if possible) from the following keys: A Major, Bb Major, C Major, D Major, Eb Major, E Major, F Major. Bass players must play E Major and G Major 2 octaves.
- 2 minutes of a solo piece of your choice
- TYO excerpt(s) for your instrument (printable pdf below)
Click on your instrument to view/print. Email Dr. Weigel (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are a wind, brass, or percussion player seeking to join. If you are already assigned a part on Petite Symphony (Gounod) from the spring 2020 semester, you do not have to audition again for TYO for Fall.
- Violin – Prepare only the entire Violin I part (DO NOT prepare violin II or violin III parts).
- Viola – Prepare the entire part.
- Cello and Bass – Prepare your entire part
Enrollment in the TYO occurs in one of two ways:
- via non-credit enrollment (payment to the CMS office)
- via for-credit enrollment (MUA169, Sections 325; OR thru Early College, with payment to UA Student Receivables). Enrolling via UA Early College credit is available for high school students (Wind/Brass/Perc Early College students will have an additional course component to complete as they do not attend the full number of rehearsals).
If enrolling non-credit (i.e., paying to the CMS office) the cost is as follows:
- Strings: $130/semester (14+ rehearsals/concert)
- Wind/Brass/Percussion: $75/semester (8+ rehearsals/concert)
Attendance: Rehearsals and Concert
August 24: No rehearsal on Labor Day, then all Mondays until the concert. The dress rehearsal and concert is still TBD (dress rehearsal 5:30 – 6:20 pm; concert at 7:00 pm – pizza provided between)
Wind, Brass, Percussion
Contact Dr. Weigel (email@example.com) for rehearsal info fall term.
The dress rehearsal and concert is still TBD (dress rehearsal 5:30–6:20pm; concert at 7:00pm. Pizza provided between).
Winds, brass, and percussion attend 8+ rehearsals/concert each semester. With so few rehearsals, attendance is critical. Please see the rehearsal and concert schedule listed on the syllabus before auditioning. Students returning from fall semester do not need to re-audition for the spring session but they do re-enroll.
An audition is held on the first Monday in February to select one member of the TYO and one pianist from CMS to play a solo work/movement with the orchestra at the spring concert. Students must audition with an accompanist.
Email Dr. Weigel (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need some names/contact for local accompanists. Orchestral parts must be available on IMSLP or in the UA library AND must be pre-approved by the ensemble conductor.
Interested students should contact Dr. Weigel.
Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra concerts occur in the Moody Music Building (810 2nd Ave., UA Campus) at 7:00 p.m. Admittance is free and children are welcome! These concerts are live-streamed to allow friends and family outside West Alabama access to the performance. Just go to the music website and select the streaming link.