Auditions will be held at Moody Music Bldg., room 204 (sign in) starting at 5:00 p.m. on August 23. You will be heard in the order of your sign in and you may leave after your audition. Email Dr. Jane Weigel at email@example.com if you have any questions.
AUDITION DAY: Monday, August 23 – for new members and to determine seating order.
- First Rehearsal: August 30 is a sight reading rehearsal. All TYO members are expected to attend rehearsal. 5:30-7:00 p.m., Room 204 (IRR).
- Works under consideration for 11/30/21 Concert: Larghetto and Allegro from Sinfonia in G major (J. Stamitz); 7th Street Beat (L. Bernofsky); A Charlie Brown Christmas (V. Guaraldi/arr. P. Murtha); Prelude, Chorale and Fugue (J.S. Bach/Ed. J.J. Abert); Waltz No. 2 (D. Shostakovich/arr. P. Lavender)
- If enrolling via the no-credit path, use this link to access the RYZER site (mandated by UA, deadline for enrollment is August 27): https://www.uayouthprograms.com/youth-orchestra.cfm
- If enrolling via the for-credit at UA path, add MUA169, Section 325
The Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra (TYO) is a full orchestra made up of students with advanced abilities. The ensemble is under the direction of School of Music faculty member Dr. Amir Zaheri. TYO is comprised primarily of high school and college-age students although advanced middle school students may be considered on a case by case basis. Enrollment in TYO may be for-University credit or no-credit. See below for enrollment details.
TYO meets on Mondays, from 5:30–7:00pm in the IRR (room 204) of Moody Music Bldg.
Our concerts are at 7:00pm. in Moody Music Building.
UA Mask Mandate: As of August 6, UA requires everyone to wear face coverings while in doors on campus. This mandate will be reviewed in early September. Only during instructional time can wind, brass, voice students remove their mask – there will be a plexiglass partition between them and their instructor.
If new to auditions for TYO, please email Dr. Weigel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Audition excerpt PDFs are below. Notification of acceptance for new students is by August 25, and for returning members, notice of seating placement will be at our first rehearsal on August 30. Please read this entire page for all audition details, enrollment, and attendance requirements.
UA Students (non-majors) who want to audition for TYO should email Dr. Weigel for an appointment. Only open chairs are auditioned for the spring semester. TYO may be taken for UA credit or via a no-credit path.
- Prepare 2 scales and 2 arpeggios (at least two octaves if possible) from the following keys: A Major, Bb Major, C Major, D Major, Eb Major, E Major, F Major. Bass players must play E Major and G Major 2 octaves.
- 2 minutes of a solo piece of your choice
- TYO excerpt(s) for your instrument (printable pdf below – bring this to your audition)
Click on your instrument to view/print. Email Dr. Weigel (email@example.com) if you are a wind, brass, or percussion player seeking to join.
- Fall, 2021 excerpts:
- CELLO / BASS
- Bb CLARINET
Enrollment in the TYO occurs in one of two ways:
- via non-credit enrollment (payment on the RYZER site – link will be placed when available -please check back)
- via for-credit enrollment (MUA169, Sections 325; OR thru Early College, with payment to UA Student Receivables). Enrolling via UA Early College credit is available for high school students (Wind/Brass/Perc Early College students will have an additional course component to complete as they do not attend the full number of rehearsals).
If enrolling non-credit (i.e., paying to the CMS office) the cost is as follows. Partial tuition waivers may be available Fall, 2021.
- Strings: $105/semester (13 rehearsals + concert)
- Wind/Brass/Percussion: $55/semester (8+ rehearsals/concert)
Attendance: Rehearsals and Concert
First rehearsal: August 30 Sight Reading potential works for concert
No rehearsal on Labor Day, September 6
September 13, 20, 27
October 4, 11, 18, 25
November 1, 8, 15
November 29 Dress rehearsal 5:30 p.m.; Concert at 7:00 pm.
Wind, Brass, Percussion
Contact Dr. Weigel (firstname.lastname@example.org) for rehearsal info fall term.
August 30 Sight Reading potential works for concert
October 11, 18, 25
November 1, 8, 15
November 29 Dress Rehearsal 5:30 p.m.; Concert at 7:00 pm.
Winds, brass, and percussion attend 8+ rehearsals/concert each semester. With so few rehearsals, attendance is critical. Please see the rehearsal and concert schedule listed on the syllabus before auditioning. Students returning from fall semester do not need to re-audition for the spring session but they do re-enroll.
An audition is held on the first Monday in February to select one member of the TYO and one pianist from CMS to play a solo work/movement with the orchestra at the spring concert. Students must audition with an accompanist.
Email Dr. Weigel (email@example.com) if you need some names/contact for local accompanists. Orchestral parts must be available on IMSLP or in the UA library AND must be pre-approved by the ensemble conductor.
Interested students should contact Dr. Weigel.
Tuscaloosa Youth Orchestra concerts occur in the Moody Music Building (810 2nd Ave., UA Campus) at 7:00 p.m. Admittance is free and children are welcome! These concerts are live-streamed to allow friends and family outside West Alabama access to the performance. Just go to the music website and select the streaming link.