- January 4 UA offices resume operation
- January 9-13 First Week of Private Lessons for Spring Semester
- January 16 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (UA Closed – no CMS classes, lessons, or ensembles meet)
- January 23 First Rehearsal of Campus Orchestra (5:30 p.m.)
- January 23-25 First Week of Pre-K Moody Music Classes
- January 26 First Adult String Ensemble Rehearsal (6:00 p.m.)
- March 10 – 19 Spring Break (UA Closed – no CMS classes, lessons, or ensembles meet)
- April 7 Honors Day (CMS lessons meet)
- May 1 – 5 Last Week of Private Lessons for Spring Semester
- May 3 Campus Orchestra Concert – 7:30 p.m.
- May 8 Suggested make-up day for MLK, Jr. Day closure (lessons only)
- May 30 First week of Summer lessons
- June 1 First rehearsal of Summer Adult String Orchestra
- June 5-7 First week Summer pre-K Music Enrichment classes
- June 20-23 Summer String Camps: Chamber Music and Orchestra
- June 23 Concert featuring Chamber Music Ensembles and Orchestra from String Camp 4:00 p.m. FREE
- July 4 UA Closed (No CMS classes, lessons, ensembles meet)
- July 17 Deadline for 2023-2024 CMS Scholarship Applications
- July 17 Online enrollment form opens for Fall 2023 classes, lessons, ensembles
- August 14-16 First week Fall pre-K Music Enrichment classes
- August 21 First week of CMS lessons
- August 25-27 Adult String Weekend
- August 31 First rehearsal Adult String Orchestra
Unscheduled Closures & Emergency Readiness
If UA is closed, then Community Music School is also closed. Classes, lessons, and ensembles can’t meet when the building is legally closed. If you are unsure about a possible weather related closure, please check area TV announcements or check the University’s website, ready.ua.edu to see if we are closed. If you do not see a closure notice on the main page, then CMS activities will continue as scheduled.
Here’s how we make up weather closure dates:
- Early Music Enrichment classes will be made up by extending the session dates.
- Large ensembles such as Campus Orchestra and Adult String Ensemble do not make-up weather closures. Chamber Trios and Quartets will discuss a make up option at the next rehearsal.
- For private lessons, individual teachers will provide their plan of extending the session or elongating scheduled lessons to make up the UA closure.
The University of Alabama has a comprehensive emergency operations plan in place to deal with incidents that may occur on campus. The plan incorporates the U.S. Homeland Security’s National Incident Management System (NIMS) protocols and delegates the University Police as the initial responder. University Police: 205-348-5454